2016 was a train-wreak. We all know it. From Brexit to Trump, 2016 was an amalgamation of everyone’s nightmares rolled into one and thrown in front of us with little warning. That being said, it wasn’t all bad. Despite the horrors that seemed to be unfolding all around the world in forms of political changes and terrorism, I am fortunate enough to be able to write this and say with confidence that it was not all bad, and despite it all, 2016 brought me some pretty damn good things. With that said, in contrast to all the ‘thank god 2016 is over’ posts, I wanted to send a little piece of positivity out into the void by listing 16 things I’m grateful for, thanks to 2016.
Things I was grateful for in 2016
1. Ringing in the New Year with old friends
2. Chad and I’s One year anniversary
3. Spending said anniversary in Kyoto
4. Moving in With Chad
5. Hiking in Yakushima
6. Visiting home in autumn
7. My mother adopting two rescue cats
8. Getting closer to friends
9. Writing and the happiness it brings me
10. Meeting new people through blogging
11. My students and their ability to make my day
12. Two of my students placing in the city wide English speech competition; I’m so proud of you both.
13. Seeking counseling and owning my medication
14. Chad and Mikey’s New Youtube Channel and the happiness it brings them
15. Coming to Canada
16. Spending Christmas and New Years with Chad and his family
So there you have it, sixteen things that made my 2016 a little less apocalyptic and a little more optimistic. I know for many, 2016 has been a year they would rather forget. Despite all that, I hope that you, my dear reader, remember the moments that made it all bearable and look towards 2017 with hopeful eyes and an open heart. And so, let me just say, from the bottom of my tea loving, Welsh heart;
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda // Happy New Year
I wish you all the happiness in the new year- May your hangovers are mild and your memories vivid. See you in 2017!!