Over the past few months, I’ve come to realise that people have very little understanding about OCD. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is a serious mental illness, one that can be debilitating. People, however, don’t seem to realise this and continue to make jokes while refusing to understand and accept the hurt behind their words. A few weeks ago, I was on the end of twitter harassment after expressing my dislike of a joke aimed at OCD. It was upsetting, embarrassing, but most of all infuriating. So I decided to write this post in the hopes of raising awareness for OCD, and what not to say around people who have it.
Things not to say to someone with OCD
- I understand how you feel, I keep my house sooo tidy. I’m a little bit OCD.
- Just think about it logically.
- You know there are germs everywhere right?
- But your house is kinda messy?
- If it takes ages to leave the house, Why not just leave earlier?
- Take a joke.
- Just try harder!
- Stop stressing out.
- You know nothing bad is going to happen right?
- Are you trying to be quirky and cute?
- Just break the habit, you can do it.
- If you’re taking medicine, why aren’t you better?
- You are being such a bad friend right now, just text back quicker.
- Do you ever wish you were normal?
- There’s no point explaining, I’m not going to understand.
- That person is crazy OCD.